This Website use Cookies OK

Read more Crime News

Woman shot in head didn’t know for 2 months; ex-boyfriend convicted in shooting


It took more than two years and a trip to the ER, but finally a man has been convicted for shooting his ex-girlfriend in the head – something she wasn’t even aware of until two months after it happened.

Nicole Gordon had severe headaches, memory loss and trouble communicating back in 2017, and that June a friend finally took the then 42-year-old to the hospital for evaluation. That’s when doctors found the bullet lodged at the base of her skull, Fulton County police outside Atlanta said.

Two years later, her now ex-boyfriend, 39-year-old Jerrontae Cain, has finally been convicted, police said Thursday. He will spend 25 years behind bars and another five on probation, police said in a statement.

He was convicted of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, aggravated battery, possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, investigators said.

Gordon, for her part, had no memory of being shot, she told police at the hospital, but she remembered arguing with Cain a month earlier.

“Gordon said during the altercation, the driver’s side window of her vehicle broke and crashed down upon her face,” police said. “Gordon said at that point she lost consciousness. Gordon briefly regained consciousness shortly after and realized she was in Cain’s vehicle.”

Back at Cain’s mother’s home, they treated what they thought was a cut from the broken glass.

“At no point during the month between the fight with Cain and her eventual visit to Atlanta Medical Center did Gordon receive any professional care,” the police statement said.

Cain told police he’d been there when the incident happened but claimed that she had crashed into a tree, breaking the glass and cutting herself.

“The crime scene proved to be inconsistent with Cain’s explanation, and doctors determined that the injuries Gordon suffered were consistent with being shot in the head,” the cops said.

They put out an arrest warrant but were not able to pick him up until January, when they were alerted by a Crime Stoppers tip to Cain’s hideaway in an attic. After a two-hour standoff, he surrendered. He already had had several brushes with the law, with 13 previous arrests and a sexual battery conviction in 2010. There was also an open court case for first-degree burglary.

Gordon’s friends testified during the assault trial that Cain had abused her in the past, leaving her with bruises and black eyes. For Gordon, there may never be closure.

“Doctors determined that the bullet inside Gordon’s skull will have to remain,” the cops said, “as any attempt to remove the projectile could cause the victim’s death.”