The homeless man, slammed for shaving on a New Jersey Transit train earlier this month, has a job interview with the very same company where his unexpected journey began.
While NJT spokewoman Nancy Snyder refused to confirm the meeting, stating, NJ Transit “doesn’t comment on prospective employees,” Anthony Torres told the Washington Post that it is indeed one of his potential employment offers.
“I feel so happy,” said Torres. “I feel like a new man.”
Torres’ claim to fame began weeks ago when a commuter posted video of the homeless man shaving on his way to his brother’s home in Atco, N.J. Online comments ranged from scorn to amazement at his dexterity in not gashing himself on the vehicle that can reach speeds of up to 90 mph.
Torres, 56, claims medical issues and a previous work-related injury have hampered his ability to find steady employment.
Jordan Wuhl, a Washington, D.C., resident, took interest in Torres’ tale of woe and created a GoFundMe page to get him back on his feet. His goal was $10,000, which he thought was unrealistic, but as of Wednesday, that tally has topped $41,000.
According to The Associated Press, Torres claims he and four brothers grew up on a farm in New Jersey, and he worked in construction and as a casino security guard. He even moved to Florida, where he slept in motels and bus depots
Today, he’s extremely grateful for the incredible act of kindness by strangers.
“Now people know the real story,” said Torres.