Skip to content
dailynews
March 22, 2019

The Oscars will reportedly go host-free this year after Kevin Hart controversy

January 9, 2019
Kevin Hart stepped down last month after homophobic tweets resurfaced. (Kevin Winter / Getty Images)

If they only had a Hart … or a host.

With the Oscars just six weeks out, the Moion Picture Academy is officially bidding farewell to the idea of a single host for Hollywood’s glitziest night, Variety reports.

Advertisement

The decision to trek on without a single marquee name leading the night’s festivities comes in the aftermath of the publicity nightmare that was Kevin Hart, who led a brief, failed apology tour after he stepped down from the gig over resurfaced, homophobic tweets.

The academy will instead round up a “crop of A-listers” to introduce various segments throughout the night, rather than relying on one single face, according to Variety, though producers are said to be “scrambling” to assemble the talent in time.

This year’s ceremony will air live from Hollywood’s Dolby Theatre on Feb. 24, with films like “A Star is Born,” “Green Book,” “Roma” and “The Favourite” expected to win big.

The change-up in hosts would mark the first time in 30 years that the Oscars would go host-less, a bold move considering the last — and only — time they attempted that, it wound up being one of the most widely derided pop culture moments in history.

Rob Lowe and Snow White infamously opened the 1989 show with a painfully long “Proud Mary” duet that wound up overshadowing the rest of the night.

Still, musical numbers could work in the producers’ favor this year, as Variety reports that they plan to lean on stars like Kendrick Lamar, Dolly Parton and Lady Gaga — who all have prominent songs featured in some of the year’s biggest films — to pass the time.

The academy did noty respond to a request for comment on the status of the show’s host.

What is for certain, though, is that comedian Hart will not be taking the stage.

The “Night School” actor confirmed Wednesday morning on “Good Morning America” that the gig is officially out of contention for him, despite the fact that he was floating the possibility as late as last week.

“I’m not hosting the Oscars this year,” he told co-host Michael Strahan.

Hart stepped down from the coveted position last month after a series of homophobic tweets from his past resurfaced.

He said at the time he did not want to be a distraction at the ceremony, and apologized to the LGBTQ community.

Hart dropped by “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” last Friday in a much-criticized appearance that featured DeGeneres urging Hart to reconsider stepping down.

“I’m a little upset because I know who I am. I know I don’t have a homophobic bone in my body,” he said. “I know that I’ve addressed it. I know that I’ve apologized. I know that within my apologies I’ve taken 10 years to put my apology to work.”

Advertisement

Facebook Comments
Free Download WordPress Themes
Free Download WordPress Themes
Download WordPress Themes Free
Download Premium WordPress Themes Free
download udemy paid course for free