This Website use Cookies OK

Read more NEW YORK News News

Nanny charged with choking infant with wipe cursed at doc dad and hung up call as he tried to feed life-saving instructions


Salomon Blutreich is pictured on the witness stand testifying against his former nanny Marianne Benjamin-Williams in State Supreme Court on Nov. 29, 2018 in New York. Benjamin-Williams is accused of stuffing a wipe down the throat of Blutreich's toddler in May 2016. (Alec Tabak for New York Daily News)

The nanny accused of trying to snuff the life out of an infant she cared for in 2017 hung up the phone and cursed at the tot’s doctor dad as he tried to coach her on life-saving techniques, the father told jurors Thursday.

Salomon Blutreich, 37, a radiologist, jumped on his bike at the downtown Brooklyn hospital where he worked and frantically crossed into Manhattan when he got the call that something was wrong at his family’s Waterside Plaza home on May 18, 2017.

He also began incessantly calling Marianne Benjamin-Williams, 46, the caretaker, who was not answering at first.

“I called back and I got through to her and I said, ‘What’s going on?’ ” he said on the witness stand at Benjamin-Williams’ attempted murder trial in Manhattan Supreme Court.

Benjamin-Williams told him “she saw something white in (baby Maxwell’s) throat — that’s all she knows.”

Knowing “he could either be dead or brain-dead “ by the time an ambulance arrived, he desperately tried to get his sitter to apply emergency intervention procedures on the 2-month-old.

“Turn him over on his belly — turn him upside down and slap his back,” the frantic father said.

“I know what the f--k I’m doing!” Benjamin-Williams fired back, according to his account. “And (she) hung up on me.”

The suspect’s bizarre behavior continued at Bellevue Hospital where Benjamin-Williams — waiting for news alongside the terrified parents —was uncooperative with doctors seeking a history of what happened, including Blutreich.

Blutreich described the dramatic scene and the intense efforts underway to save Maxwell’s life in the pediatric emergency room.

“He looked terrible. There was blood coming out of his mouth…He was a tiny little baby and he was completely listless and he looked like he was already dead,” the distressed dad recalled.

“Everyone was running around but I don’t know if anyone had any idea what to do,” he added.

The massive response team reminded him of “stuff I had seen in medical school — like during shootings and stuff.”

Meanwhile, as doctors still unable to see the wipe tried to investigate, Benjamin-Williams “clammed up and wouldn’t say a word to me” when Blutreich pushed for information.

“I felt that anger…I heard on the phone. It was scary and I didn’t want to get between her and the physicians to figure out what the heck was going on with him,” he said.

Benjamin-Williams left the hospital before finding out what Maxwell’s condition was and after complaining that she would not come back to work the next week without a full complement of cameras in the apartment to “protect herself.”

“Monday’s not going to be a normal day because Max was going to be dead or brain-dead, so why are we even having this conversation?” Blutreich thought.

He shot her critical looks across the courtroom as he was questioned on direct-examination by Assistant District Attorney Nicole Blumberg.

Benjamin-Williams, an Israeli native who apparently lied about her age to the family when she got hired, also complained about the “American health care system” and how long it was taking to treat the child.

She complained in front of the terrified parents that she could have gone to jail if the baby died on “her watch.”

Blutreich’s testimony is expected to continue Friday.

Benjamin-Williams’ attorney Raymond Loving has argued that the wipe was caught in his throat by accident or that his 14-month-old sister Ariella put it there. Prosecutors say it would have been impossible for the toddler to accomplish that.