A Maine mother pleaded not guilty to child endangerment Wednesday, almost a year after her 1-year-old daughter was found dead from fentanyl exposure.
Kimberly Nelligan, 33, used her personal heroin as a sleep aid for her daughter, the baby’s father told Bangor police, according to the Bangor Daily News. Nelligan would allegedly rub heroin residue on her daughter’s gums when she couldn’t sleep.
The father also said Nelligan told him she had used similar methods for her older two children when they were babies.
“You know I didn’t hurt our daughter on purpose,” Nelligan allegedly told him, according to court documents obtained by the Bangor Daily News.
Nelligan was arrested Tuesday and charged with child endangerment and drug possession, almost a year after her daughter was found unresponsive at home. The baby was taken to Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center, where she was declared dead.
It’s unclear how she ingested the fentanyl, which is often used to cut heroin.
Nelligen was released on bail after pleading not guilty and is due back in court in November.