Sun., May 19 - Sat., May 25
ALTERNATE SIDE PARKING RULES ARE IN EFFECT ALL WEEK
To paraphrase “Game of Thrones”, summer is coming, and this week the Memorial Day weekend to come means heavy traffic to airports Thursday and Friday, which will converge with Mets traffic both days, and Fleet Week near the West Side Highway.
The parade of military ships comes into the harbor Wednesday morning at 8 a.m., causing rubber-necking on the highway from 59th St. to the Battery.
Unfortunately, bike lane cyclists will have to dismount in the 40’s to 50th St. starting Friday. Bikers, please don’t venture on the highway; I saw a few scary moments last year.
Please join me in reminding NY officials May is also Bike Month; a better response would be to reserve one lane of the West Side Highway as had been done previously, making it safer for all.
All airports will be busier Thursday and Friday, but LGA will be the toughest to get to because of the Met games. Fans, commuters, and Memorial getaway drivers will all be on the roads around 3:30 p.m. Thursday (post-game) and 6 p.m. Friday (pre-game).
The Grand Central will be more sluggish both ways and the Whitestone Expressway southbound. The LIE and Van Wyck will also be affected. Airport travel will also be heavy on the Belt, and at the Lincoln and Holland tunnels.
The Amazins’ play the Nats 7 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, noon on Thursday, and the Tigers 7 p.m. Friday and 4 p.m. Saturday at Citi Field.
Today, Sunday, the Yankees play their chief division rival, the Rays, at 1 p.m., adding lots of cars to the Bruckner, Cross Bronx and Major Deegan.
Events close these streets Sunday:
* The southbound West Side Highway from 14th to Albany St. 8 a.m. to noon for the NYPD Memorial 5K Run.
* Ninth Ave., between 57th and 42nd Sts., from 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. for the International Food Festival.
* Madison Ave., 38th to 23rd Sts., from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. for the Nepal Day Parade and Festival.
* Riverside Drive — 111th to 74th St., W. 74th St., and Central Park’s 72nd St. Transverse — from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. for the AIDS Walk.
* Bell Boulevard, between 38th and 43rd Ave, from 1 p.m. to 6.
* Brooklyn’s Third Ave., from 85th St. to Bay Ridge Ave., for the Norwegian Day Parade.
* Park Slope’s Fifth Ave., between Sterling Pl. and 12th St.