Skip to content
April 23, 2019

Gas explosion blows out windows of Upper West Side gym; building was already evacuated

November 26, 2018
Firefighters respond to a fire at 2465 Broadway in Manhattan, New York City on Sunday, November 25, 2018. (Gardiner Anderson for New York Daily News)

An electrical fire and gas leak led to a blast that shattered the windows of an Upper West Side gym Sunday night, FDNY officials said.

Firefighters had already cleared out the Equinox gym building on Broadway near W. 92nd St. when an explosion blew out the windows on the first floor at about 6:20 p.m., an FDNY spokesman said.

Firefighters first showed up at about 3:45 p.m., after getting a report of an electrical fire in the basement.

First responders found elevated carbon monoxide levels, and evacuated five businesses in four nearby buildings, the spokesman said.

Firefighters had already started setting up a safety zone when the gas explosion happened.

Workers have turned off gas and electric to the buildings, and officials have not yet determined the cause of the leak, the FDNY spokesman said.

Facebook Comments
Download Nulled WordPress Themes
Download Best WordPress Themes Free Download
Download Premium WordPress Themes Free
Download Premium WordPress Themes Free
download udemy paid course for free