This Website use Cookies OK

Read more World News

French boy dies after being poisoned by E. coli-tainted hamburger in 2011


A 10-year-old boy who was poisoned by E. coli-infected supermarket beef has died in intensive care in France, according to the BBC.

The then 2-year-old Nolan Moittie and 14 other children became sick after eating tainted hamburgers in 2011.

The particularly virulent strain of E. coli paralyzed Nolan and he suffered nerve damage and diabetes as a result of eating the contaminated meat, too. He survived by using a feeding tube.

Florence Rault, the Moittie family’s lawyer, said Nolan’s death was “the end of a long torment, as his suffering did not let up for an instant: his limbs were deformed, his bones were brittle, he underwent various operations, he could no longer eat, swallow, speak or move.”

“His body finally gave up... as a result of all the pathologies which only got worse,” she said.

The other children who became ill had symptoms consistent with kidney and intestinal infections.

Fatal strains of E. coli cause internal organs to shut down.

The beef, which was sold by the chain Lidl, came from a French consortium called SEB. Former SEB boss Guy Lamorlette was given a two-year prison sentence in 2017 for negligence over the food poisoning. He was also fined 50,000 Euros. His lawyer is planning to appeal the sentence.