A New York City man walked free for the first time in decades after a federal judge ruled he’d done enough time for his crimes.
By Thursday, Alexander Landor had served 25 years in state prison for an attempted murder conviction — and Brooklyn Federal Judge Sterling Johnson refused to mete out more jail time for the “rehabilitated” man.
Landor was paroled on his state case last month after at least four trips to the parole board. But the feds immediately took him in, looking to tack on another year of lockup for the 51-year-old.
In December 1993, Landor, then 27, was out on probation for a federal gun possession rap when he and another man repeatedly stabbed two women and threw them in the East River, authorities said. By then, Landor had already been incarcerated on a drug dealing conspiracy charge.
The women survived but Brooklyn federal prosecutors said Landor deserved an extra year because he broke his supervised release rules in such a shocking way.
“I’m not that person no more,” said Landor, who picked up a behavioral science degree behind bars and is thinking about counseling children. “I’m asking for a chance, please.”
The judge said Landor “is not the person who he was. … I think one year is too much time.”
Landor’s brother, Teofilo, 43, clenched his fists in joy and his eyes welled when he heard Johnson’s sentence of time served. He brought along a bag of clothes so his older brother could change out of his tan jumpsuit.
The construction worker said he saw his brother’s knees buckle a bit with the news.
At an earlier court date, Landor’s lawyer, Michael Weil, said the case was a “pretty unusual situation.” Another year for Landor “would just be gratuitous,” Weil told Johnson.
A couple hours later, Landor walked out of Brooklyn Federal Court, off to grab a bite with his brother. Landor will stay with him in lower Manhattan for a bit before moving in with his fiancée in Vero Beach, Fla. He will remain under parole supervision for the rest of his life.