Skip to content
dailynews
December 18, 2018

Cigarette sparked Upper West Side blaze that killed man in wheelchair

May 29, 2018

The Upper West Side fire that killed a man in a wheelchair was sparked by an unattended cigarette, officials said Tuesday.

The Upper West Side fire that killed a man in a wheelchair was sparked by an unattended cigarette, officials said Tuesday.

FDNY fire marshals determined that smoking sparked the fire that broke out at about 4:30 p.m. Monday in Robert Gutierrez’s bedroom on W. 105th St. near Amsterdam Ave. The fire has been deemed accidental.




Gutierrez’s room didn’t have a smoke alarm but there were working alarms throughout the rest of the apartment, officials said.

FDNY fire marshals determined that smoking sparked the fire that broke out about 4:30 p.m. Monday in Robert Gutierrez’s bedroom on W. 105th St. near Amsterdam Ave. (Angus Mordant/for New York Daily News)

Relatives said Gutierrez was paralyzed in a 2016 shooting.

Firefighters found him in the flame-engulfed bedroom at about 4:30 p.m. and brought him to the building’s lobby, where he died.

Firefighters found Gutierrez in the flame-engulfed bedroom around 4:30 p.m. and brought him to the building’s lobby, where he died.
Firefighters found Gutierrez in the flame-engulfed bedroom around 4:30 p.m. and brought him to the building’s lobby, where he died. (Angus Mordant/for New York Daily News)

The FDNY managed to contain the blaze to the apartment. The fire was put out in just under 45 minutes.




Facebook Comments
Download Premium WordPress Themes Free
Free Download WordPress Themes
Download Nulled WordPress Themes
Premium WordPress Themes Download
udemy paid course free download