The Upper West Side fire that killed a man in a wheelchair was sparked by an unattended cigarette, officials said Tuesday.
FDNY fire marshals determined that smoking sparked the fire that broke out at about 4:30 p.m. Monday in Robert Gutierrez’s bedroom on W. 105th St. near Amsterdam Ave. The fire has been deemed accidental.
Gutierrez’s room didn’t have a smoke alarm but there were working alarms throughout the rest of the apartment, officials said.
Relatives said Gutierrez was paralyzed in a 2016 shooting.
Firefighters found him in the flame-engulfed bedroom at about 4:30 p.m. and brought him to the building’s lobby, where he died.