Chinese school attack kills 8 children on first day of classes
Eight students were killed in an attack inside an elementary school in central China on the first day of the new semester, authorities said Tuesday.
Police would not say how the victims were attacked Monday morning, but a suspect was arrested at the scene and his motive is under investigation. He was identified only as a 40-year-old man with the surname Yu.
The South China Morning Post, a Hong Kong-based newspaper, said the children were stabbed to death. Local outlets also reported that the suspect had been released from prison in June after serving time for attempted murder.
Monday’s incident happened around 8 a.m. at Chaoyangpo Elementary School in Hubei province. Officials said at least two other students were injured in the attack.
The case comes a year after two children were fatally stabbed outside a Shanghai elementary school. Also in 2018, nine students were killed in an attack outside a middle school in Shaanxi province.