Catherine Zeta-Jones is supporting both the #MeToo movement as well as her husband, Michael Douglas, after he denied an apparent incoming sexual harassment claim before any accusations actually emerged.
Zeta-Jones says Douglas, 73, is also a supporter of #MeToo — the widespread anti-harassment movement that has swept the globe — but opted not to expound anything further about his decision to get out ahead of what he characterized as a false allegation against him from a former employee.
“My reaction was that as two people who have been in this business — him longer than me — was that we support ‘Me Too’ and the movement more than anybody, anybody — me as a woman, him as a man,” Zeta-Jones told Entertainment Tonight at a Television Critics Association event.
“And there was no other way than to be preemptive in a story that had to be watched. He did a statement, he did it,” Zeta-Jones, 48, continued. “I think it’s very clear the way that he stands. I cannot elaborate on something that’s so very personal to him.”
Zeta-Jones’ comments come less than a week after Douglas informed Deadline he expected to be accused by a former female coworker of inappropriate behavior some 32 years ago. He refuted the allegation as “complete lie, fabrication.”
Stars accused of sexual harassment and assault
Douglas also told the outlet he hasn’t been in contact with the woman in over 30 years.
No allegations have publicly emerged against Douglas since he made his denial last Tuesday.
Zeta-Jones and Douglas have been married since 2000. Zeta-Jones was one of many stars to wear black to the Golden Globes last week in a show of solidarity to stand up to sexual misconduct.