LAKELAND, Fla. – The Mets are trying their luck with Carlos Gomez again. And this time the team is hoping he is healthy enough to land in Flushing … and that nobody ends up in tears.
New York is finalizing a minor-league deal with the 33-year-old Gomez, a source confirmed. The transaction is not yet official.
The Mets previously tried to land Gomez from the Brewers in 2015. New York was willing to trade away Wilmer Flores and Zack Wheeler for the outfielder. Gomez was coming off back-to-back All-Star years with a Gold Glove under his belt during his age-27 season.
The deal fell through at the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline due to what the Mets claimed were concerns over Gomez’s hip, but not before Flores heard about the potential deal during the middle of the game. Hard to forget the scene of Flores crying on the field thinking he was on his way out the door.
“In the game I heard I was getting traded, and I got emotional, and when I came in, they told me there was no trade,” Flores said at the time. “I was sad, being a Met forever, I have all my teammates here, that’s why I got emotional.”
Gomez then landed with the Houston Astros instead.
The Brewers, Gomez and his agent, Scott Boras, all denied a problem with Gomez’s hip or general health in 2015. The centerfielder finished that year batting .242 with four home runs, 13 RBIs and 31 strikeouts over 41 appearances for Houston.
Gomez struggled last season with the Rays, slashing .208/.298/.336 with just nine home runs and 32 RBIs and 15 doubles over 118 games. He was hit by pitches a career-high 21 times in 2018.
The centerfielder will join fellow outfielders Rajai Davis, Keon Broxton and Gregor Blanco in hopes of making the Opening Day roster for the Mets.