Comedian Aziz Ansari reportedly reflected on how the sexual misconduct allegation made against him last year has changed him during a performance this week at a New York comedy club.
Ansari, 35, called the topic a “terrifying thing to talk about” during his set Monday night at Village Underground, Vulture reported.
“There were times I felt really upset and humiliated and embarrassed, and ultimately I just felt terrible this person felt this way,” Ansari said, according to Vulture, which had a reporter in the crowd. “But you know, after a year, how I feel about it is, I hope it was a step forward. It made me think about a lot, and I hope I’ve become a better person.”
In January 2018, a 23-year-old woman — who did not reveal her identity — accused Ansari in a Babe.net report of pressuring her into engaging in sexual acts despite her giving off verbal and non-verbal cues that she wasn’t comfortable.
Ansari said at the time that he believed their encounter was consensual.
He reportedly said during Monday’s show, “If that has made not just me but other guys think about this, and just be more thoughtful and aware and willing to go that extra mile, and make sure someone else is comfortable in that moment, that’s a good thing.”
The “Master of None” actor added that he feared he’d never be able to perform stand-up again following the accusation, and that he’s grateful for the opportunity to do so, according to Vulture.