No one covers the city like the Daily News. For more than a century, New York’s Hometown Newspaper has been your eyes and ears — and your voice.
Do you have a story you think we should tell? Call us at (212) 210-NEWS or email us at [email protected]. This is your paper, and we are committed to covering the issues that matter to you. Here are some of our top stories from the last week:
Junk justice: A parolee busted three times — and released — in the last year was free to rape a Queens woman on Monday, police said. Joshua Henderson, 33, was wearing an ankle monitor when he allegedly forced his way into a Howard Beach home and attacked the woman inside, The News exclusively reported Thursday. Henderson gave the woman the sickening choice of having sex with him or her 25-year-old son. State parole officials said they tried to revoke his parole but were kept from doing so by an administrative law judge. He’s being held without bail for the sex assault.
Delays for dollars: The city is pumping millions into a school bus company that logged 28,963 delays and 3,367 breakdowns in the last four years, according to analysis of data obtained by The News. Reliant Transportation, which has the second-most delays of the 46 bus companies contracted with the city also has the most expensive contract, thanks to $200 million in subsidies. The special supplement — given at the expense of city taxpayers — boosts the salaries of veteran drivers, the News reported Wednesday. A spokeswoman for the mayor said the subsidy program “is about keeping our kids safe and providing fair wages" and pointed out Reliant has been fined about $2.4 million for service disruptions since the the 2015-2016 school year.
Free at last: It took two years, but a man wrongly arrested in a Bronx murder is finally free. Virgil Mitchell, 34, was cleared Tuesday in a 2017 double-shooting, The News reported exclusively. The case against Mitchell was tossed after the Bronx District Attorney’s office concluded the evidence — including eyewitness accounts — do not point to Mitchell as the man who opened fire on a Hunts Point street on June 25, 2017, killing one man and wounding another. Mitchell is eager to return to normalcy and his 3-year-old son. “I want to get back on with my life... and move forward," he told The News.
For more on these and many other stories, visit nydailynews.com.