Cookies

This Website use Cookies OK

Read more U.S. News

‘Surviving R Kelly Part II’ leads to huge spike in calls to sexual assault hotline

2020-01-07

Anti-sexual violence organization RAINN saw a massive jump in calls to its sexual assault hotline following Lifetime channel’s airing of “Surviving R Kelly Part II.”

“The Friday and Saturday after ‘Surviving R. Kelly Part II: The Reckoning’ aired, RAINN’s National Sexual Assault Hotline experienced a 40% increase in calls,” RAINN Press Secretary Erinn Robinson said. “We are proud to have partnered with Lifetime on this project and are encouraged that our work with the media continues to empower survivors of sexual violence to seek the help that they need to heal.”

The docuseries aired Thursday, Friday and Saturday last week and featured new interviews with accusers of the R&B singer and legal experts.

“We are so thankful for our partnership with RAINN as part of our Stop Violence Against Women Initiative and to see the jump in calls during the airings of Surviving R. Kelly Part II: The Reckoning,” Brie Miranda Bryant, senior vice president of unscripted programing at Lifetime, said. “It’s amazing to know the documentary has encouraged important and necessary conversations to happen and we are extremely proud of our survivors for their courage, who by standing up for themselves, stand for so much more.”

R Kelly, born Robert Sylvester Kelly, is currently facing federal and state sexual assault charges in Chicago and New York. Both trials are expected to start this spring.

The original airing of “Surviving R Kelly” is credited with increasing awareness of the allegations against the singer as well as for his original arrest in July 2019.