This Website use Cookies OK

Read more Crime News

Separated socks help bust Ted Bundy-loving Pennsylvania man accused in 1991 slaying of girlfriend


Theodore Donahue was taken into custody on Tuesday. (CBS)

A pair of separated socks helped lead to the arrest of a Ted Bundy-loving Pennsylvania man for the slaying of his girlfriend nearly three decades ago.

Theodore Donahue was arrested on Tuesday and slapped with multiple charges, including the murder of 27-year-old Denise Kulb, following an “extensive joint re-examination” of the evidence, according to authorities.

Kulb’s body was found in a remote area about 25 miles southwest of Philadelphia on Nov. 12, 1991.

“She deserved far better than to be killed and left in a location unknown to those who mourned her,” said Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner. “But thanks to tenacious work by the Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Investigation Assessment Unit — and by Trooper Andrew Martin in particular — we are within reach of securing justice for this woman, who should have been 55 years old today.”

The state police used photo-enhancing technology to connect a pair of separated socks. Troopers had found a yellow sock at Donahue’s home in 1991 that matched a sock found at the crime scene.

"The photos of the socks were later enhanced to make the connection between the apartment and the crime scene," the DA's office said in Tuesday's press release.

The 52-year-old Donahue has denied involvement in Kulb’s murder, but admitted that his nickname was “Ted Bundy.” His email handle, “Ted Bundy 1967,” includes the serial killer’s name and the year of Donahue’s birth.

“He’s not guilty. He denies the charges, and we will dispute it in court,” lawyer R. Emmett Madden told the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Donahue initially told state cops that he last saw Kulb on Oct. 18, 1991, “when they purchased and ingested crack, were robbed at knifepoint, and she ran to get help,” according to authorities. He claimed never to see her again.

He gave a “different account” when interviewed in 2015, according to prosecutors. He said he saw her outside of a bar on Oct. 18, and family members saw her at a funeral the following day, the last day she was seen alive.

“Sometimes cases get better with time, just like wine does,” Anthony Voci, supervisor of the DA’s Homicide Unit, told the Inquirer. “For instance, in 1991 we didn’t have multiple versions of his last interactions with the victim. Now we do. So that’s one example of how cases can get better.”