The U.S. Marine Corps has reportedly cut ties with former “Tucker Carlson Tonight” head-writer Blake Neff.
The 29-year-old scribe was forced off Fox News last week following allegations he was responsible for years of racist comments posted online under a pseudonym.
Military site Task & Purpose reported Thursday that Neff’s name was also “immediately removed” from the Marine Corps War College’s list of war-gaming consultants. Neff had participated in more that a dozen exercises since being named a “war-gaming subject matter expert” in October 2016, the report said.
The fallout follows a CNN report last week that Neff had “for years been using a pseudonym to post bigoted remarks” online that were also called homophobic and misogynistic.
Among them was the claim last month that “Black doods staying inside playing Call of Duty is probably one of the biggest factors keeping crime down.”
Neff also opposes the Washington NFL team’s decision to change its name, which many consider offensive to Native Americans.
“Mr. Neff’s language and behavior do not represent Marine Corps University or the United States Marine Corps,” Marine spokeswoman Capt. Monica Witt told Task & Purpose.
The Marine Corps also took a stand against racism last month by banning the Confederate flag at all of its bases following the killing of unarmed Black man George Floyd, who died while a white cop knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes in Minneapolis. Defense Secretary Mark Esper signed a memo Thursday night listing the types of flags that will be allowed at all U.S. military installations. The Confederate flag was not among them.
Fox News condemned Neff’s remarks and “swiftly accepted his resignation” after learning of CNN’s findings.
Carlson also attempted to distance his show from Neff’s verbiage in a broadcast early in the week, where he urged critics not to be too judgmental of his former chief wordsmith. Carlson soon after began a “long planned” vacation. Social media accounts once-registered to Neff are no longer active.
The Daily Beast reported Friday that black staffers engaged Fox News Media executives in a tense 90-minute phone call last month to address the right-wing media outlet’s “increasingly racist and hostile rhetoric toward the protests against police brutality.”
According to the report, that emotional discussion addressed Fox News’ approach to racial relations on and off camera.
A Fox spokesman reportedly told the Daily Beast that “Fox News Media is committed to providing an ongoing dialogue targeting issues of diversity and workplace inclusion, which is why we recently took the unprecedented action of providing an open forum among an intimate group of diverse employees to candidly discuss this critical issue.”
One of the dozen Fox News insiders the Daily Beast spoke to for its story alleged that network executives had “created a white supremacist cell inside the top cable network in America, the one that directly influences the president.”
Fox News claimed in its statement that the network is “a leader in cable news for featuring a broad range of voices” and said it plans to “ensure all views are respected and celebrated both on and off air.”
With News Wire Services