Cookies

This Website use Cookies OK

Read more U.S. News

As radio host plans to sue employer for homophobic tweet about him, station says slur came from his own phone

2019-09-28

A New Orleans radio show host who made national headlines earlier this month after he was the target of a homophobic tweet sent by his station’s official Twitter account, is once again under the spotlight.

Seth Dunlap, the 35-year-old host of WWL-AM’s “The Last Lap With Seth Dunlap,” publicly came out as gay on Sept. 5, in a letter he shared on social media criticizing New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees.

Brees had participated in a video produced by an anti-LGBTQ organization, and in a lengthy Facebook post Dunlap wrote that his participation in the Focus on the Family video “was hurtful to many people, including me an openly gay man."

A tweet from his station followed his announcement, called him "a f-g.”

The homophobic message was promptly deleted, but the reaction was swift, with fellow radio journalists jumping in his defense, and calling the situation “inexcusable.”

The station said it was aware of the incident, and that it would “actively” investigate it and take appropriate action once we determine how this occurred.”

On Thursday, representatives for WWL said that they believe that the tweet came from Dunlap’s own phone, according to a New Orleans Police Department report obtained by The New Orleans Advocate.

The station went further, accusing the radio host — who’s been on a leave of absence since the day after the infamous tweet was sent — of demanding more than $1.8 million in compensation.

“WWL has completed its investigation into the highly offensive, unauthorized tweet sent from WWL’s Twitter account on September 10, which directed a homophobic slur at Seth Dunlap,” the station said in a statement. “We determined that the most appropriate next step is to involve law enforcement. At this point, the investigation is in the hands of law enforcement and it is not appropriate for us to comment any further on the substance of our findings,” the statement continued.

Dunlap’s lawyer Megan Kiefer said that her client "vehemently disputes the statements made by [WWL’s parent company] Entercom to the NOPD, which are littered with falsehoods.”

In a statement shared with the Daily News, Kiefer said that Dunlap “voluntarily took and passed” a lie-detector test, which “categorically denies he was responsible for this tweet,” she said, adding that he didn’t have access to the WWL Twitter account, a “fact that it is undisputed.”

According to Kiefer, Entercom’s lawyers approached Dunlap to discuss settlement last week, saying that they had cleared her client as the sender of the tweet.

“On September 24, Entercom interviewed Mr. Dunlap for over an hour before unethically, improperly, and illegally accusing him of extortion in order to scare him into accepting little to no compensation for the company’s actions,” she added, saying that Dunlap is “thankful” that the episode is now being investigated by an independent agency.

The Daily News has reached out to both WWL Radio and Entercom for comment, but hasn’t heard back.